Maybe…. Maybe Not!
Maybe like me, you have heard Karen Carpenter sing “The Christmas Song” one too many times, and feel like “Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer” is a more appropriate song to match your mood. Don’t worry, I will not ask you to make yet another donation for a child in need, as you have probably received countless emails asking you for the same thing from other non-profits, and you probably are deleting them from your inbox on first sight.
I am talking about more than donating money -- maybe you spread the word about our mission, volunteered at an event, or simply took the time to read about us and become more educated about autism and the need to help families struggling to find and access proper care and treatment for their children.
Because of you, we had our best year ever!
Here is a list of some of our accomplishments in 2011:
- ACT Today! distributed a total of $434,000 to 388 families. This was a growth of 600% from the previous year!
- We ACT Today for Military Families 5k/10k and ONEHOPE family festival which raised $99,000 and had 1,200 participants
- Started our “Assisted Technology Program” with IPad grants.
- Received local and national television coverage discussing the importance of early and ongoing treatments for children with autism
- Launched “ACT Today! Espanol” to assist Latino families struggling with the diagnosis of autism
- Gave our first ACTivist award to Tom Bergeron at our Star studded and most successful ever Denim & Diamonds for Autism event
Now that I look at the list, I must say, I am very thankful that we had such an amazing year with your support.
On that note, I think I’ll go listen to Karen Carpenter’s Christmas CD and pour myself an eggnog.
Executive Director, ACT Today!