A blog about resources for autism and care and treatment.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why I'm Running to Raise Funds

 
I am not active duty military myself nor do I have any family members affected by autism. However, both my mother (22 years) and my father (30 years) are Marines (retired). I understand the burdens that are placed on these service members and their families.

For a long time I had suffered from fear and anxiety from heavy physical exertion. I decided to start running to overcome this. At first I ran for a minute or two, then a few weeks later it was a mile.

Then a few months later I completed my first 5k. When my fiance (now wife) and I saw the Act Today! 10K, I saw it as an oppurtunity to push myself even further and prove I could do anything, and to help service members and their families.

I think I ran the 6 miles in something like an hour and 5 minutes. It felt great to accomplish a personal goal and to help out these families.

In December, my wife and I ran the Las Vegas 1/2 marathon which is something I never thought I would be capable of doing in my life.

One step at a time...
David


Join David and his wife - April 7 for the ACT Today! for Military Families 5k/10k Run and ONEHOPE Family Festival. 

For complete details, visit 
www.ActTodayForMilitaryFamilies.Kintera.org 









No comments:

Post a Comment